Re: RC: Endurance Riding For Complete Idiots

In a message dated 5/25/01 8:35:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
givensb@prodigy.net writes:

Do many people tie to the trailer?  I've heard it being done.

Yes, people still tie to trailers.  That's all we ever did in the earlier
years of endurance riding. It's better to tie a horse with a stout rope than
it is to put him into an inadequate set of corrals and have him get out
during the night.  Don't worry, nobody will think less of you for trailer
tying.  If I could give one piece of advice about your first LD
ride....relax, enjoy!  Remember, it's hardly more than a good conditioning
ride.  Twenty-five or thirty miles goes by so fast.  Think of it as an
extended pleasure ride, ride it at a moderate pace, learn about your
horse...how he travels, how he reacts to the work load.  Be sure to give him
as much water as you can get him to drink.  Have a fun and successful first
ride!  And also remember, success is finishing, no matter where in the pack,
with a sound, healthy, happy horse.  You're gonna love this sport.  You'd die
laughing if you heard the story of MY first endurance ride.

Barbara

Barbara