Re: crupper and breast collar adjustment

discuss how
>both a crupper and breast collar should be adjusted, especially when using
>both?

Marlene: I just bought my first breast plate, so I'll be eager to see the
answers on that one. However, I've always used a crupper on my Peruvian
gelding. They tend to have a body shape (larger at the back rib) that
encourages saddle slippage, especially as many are mutton withered. I didn't
like the designs that I have seen for cruppers, so I had the saddle maker
convert a couple to my design: About 16" - 18" inches from the tail loop
(depends on your horse's length, mine's short-backed) I had him cut it off
and put in a square dee. I use a 1 inch strap of heavy leather with a good
roller buckle to hold it to the saddle. Attach the strap so that the roller
is towards the saddle. As I'm moving I can check the tension of the crupper
and easily adjust it with one hand tighter or looser as needed. After I'd
done it a few times I didn't even have to twist in the saddle and look... I
keep moving and can do it all my feel.

Terry B/Salem