Trailers

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

> I have heard from other trailer dealers that
> Exciss are not
> that great of a trailer, even had one dealer tell me they were > junk.

and...

> I've not talked to anyone who anything particularly nice to
> say about Exciss.  Basically, the consenses was the same: for
> what you pay for them they are junk.  Yeah, they are the low
> end of alum. trailers but it is still too high for what you
> get.

I can only assume that these statements are coming from people
(like manufacturers/dealers of other trailers) who have not
owned an Exiss.

I just went through the trailer shopping thing and narrowed my
choices down to either the Exiss or the Sundowner.  Of all the
people that I spoke to at rides, etc. who had an Exiss, I did
not hear a single negative comment.

There were some that I would have considered had I had a chance
to see one, but their dealers were too far away from me to make
that feasible.

Of the ones that I did look at, it was the Featherlites that I
would best describe as junk.  Lighter weight materials, unfinished
(as in sharp) edges, light weight materials, sliding doors that
didn't slide (even on the brand new ones) and a general lack of
apparent care in the workmanship (and total apathy on the part
of the representative that I spoke with).

The Exiss, on the other hand, was beautifully put together, with
excellent welds, great axle and suspension system, top quality
materials, a high quality hitch, nice finishing and great
attention to detail.

I could say the same about the Sundowner, but it was 40% more
expensive (even after the AERC Membership discount).

So I bought the Exiss.

I haven't had it for long enough to know for sure whether I will have
any complaints.  I am very happy with it so far. If they are
junk trailers...the manufacturers have hidden it pretty well.
There is nothing shoddy about either the workmanship or the
materials that can be inspected.

And this inspection was made by a top notch welder and heavy
equipment mechanic.

As I said, I assume that the other dealers who say that Exiss
trailers are junk are just expressing sour grapes about the
fact that they can sell a quality trailer for so much less
(although the other trailer I considered was a Silverado, and
had I been closer to a dealer where I could get a really good
look at one before buying, I would have considered it, and it,
too, is competitively priced).

kat
Orange County, Calif.