RE: young adults & Endurance

I think there are several reasons that young adults are not involved in endurance.  First money, time and starting off families are definitely on the list however, there is one other I would like to mention.  Other organizations have a developing rider or junior program.  There are apprentice programs or stables that offer horses for people to ride.  I think there are some of these types of arrangements in endurance but not near at the level of hunter/jumpers or dressage.

As for myself, I've just left the age bracket (thanks to my family and crew for the 30th birthday party) and during that time I managed to earn my college degree, start a career and get married but throughout it all my focus was the horses both endurance and dressage.  I think that I am part of the minority in that age bracket planned my entire career around my horses.

Now, I am encouraging other young riders to take part in endurance.  My stables has hosted a trial-ride to teach local 4-H groups about endurance.  During the week I often have young riders accompanying me on training rides and some are beginning to race.

Maybe AERC needs to begin something to promote endurance racing in those age brackets?  The recent membership drive seemed to have attracted many in the higher age brackets but we have yet to attract more of the 20-something group.

Just thoughts,
Irene
www.maverick-stables.com