Re: RC: Stirrup suggestions for bad ankles and knees

>I'll let you know how it works out once I've had it a while), but now I
>need some new stirrups for me.  After riding in
>regular English stirrup irons, my ankle hurts.  I also have bad knees, and
>while this hasn't been a problem for my riding
>thus far, I'm sure as the distances get longer it'll become a problem
>(it's slowly making its way up my legs).

Most people (and horses) have one leg shorter than the other.  Few riders take
this into account when adjusting stirrups.

First, make sure the leathers are the same length and the holes are the
same distances from the buckle end.  It is very easy to forget to switch
inside and outside leathers occasionally.  The mounting side will stretch
from mounting.

There are many times when leathers will get switched with leathers from
another saddle and the pairs won't be kept together.  Someone may borrow
a saddle, leathers, what have you and there you go.

If the leathers match, raise the sore ankle side one hole higher.  If you feel
off balance or sliding toward the other side you may need to (horrors!) add
a hole between the one you raised to and the one you came from.

One half step can make a huge difference in how your ankle feels.

The soreness often comes from reaching with your toe to retain the stirrup.

If the leather eats your knee up, turn your stirrup a half turn so that the
leather
lays along your leg rather than following it edgewise.

Marv " There are no longer any obscene words, I think
I shall invent a new one - GRIFPHST!! " Walker