Re: Circly Y Sportsaddle

Kris writes:

> I'm new  to endurance,  going to get introduced to a limited distance
> ride on June 9 - Road Warrior race in Canton, TX.
>
> I've got a Circly Y sportsaddle, Bob Marshall.  I loved it when I used
> it with my 16 h Appaloosa. I hate it with my 14h Arabian. I'm having a
> heck of a time getting things to fit this horse.
>
> My concern is that this saddle will be too hot for an endurance ride.

I haven't found this to be true.  The claim is that since it fits so
closely, it causes less friction, hence cooler....
Dunno know, but never any heat problems with it.

> Also, the major issue is that it is harder than heck to get a saddle pad
> that fits it. It is short from front to back, aprox 28" but long from
> side to side, 30 something inches, close to 40 (It has been a few weeks
> since I measured.).  I did find a saddle pad in Sportack by Toklat.  I
> hope it arrives in the mail soon!  By all appearances I've finally found
> a pad that will fit.

Personally, I dislike the toklat pads since they are not shaped to the
back-just fold in a straight line....the skito pads are peaked over
the withers, or can be ordered with a split wither......you can also order
them in any length.  I have several that are extra long and work
great.  There is a website by Gerri Rini www.sportsaddle.com that adresses
the options with the skito pad.

> I also don't like the girth.  I ordered a Biothane Quick Cinch and am
> hoping this helps.  By the time I get my horse saddled I have this wad
> of wrapped up nylon up under my leg and it bugs me.

My friend loves these with the sport saddle.  I have great luck with
neoprene. BUT, you don't tie a knot with the nylon latigo; just run it twice
through, grab a hole with the tongue, and tuck the extra up under the
flap....Gerri Rini shows how to do this on her website.

 Due to the treeless
> nature of the saddle it definitely needs a breastcollar as it will slip
> backwards easily, or seems to on my Arabian.  I've ordered Biothane
> breastcollar and am wondering if  I should have gotten the crupper.

I have not found this to be true....I ride with a loose cinch, and extremely
loose breastcollar (to hand sponge off of, and running martingale), but have
never had the saddle slip badly.  It seems to stay in the right place.

> Why do I ride with it? Well, I'm new to this sport and I'm at a loss as
> to which endurance saddle to try.  An endurance friend told me last
> weekend she's been through 16 saddles in 4 years! She said saddles are
> the bane to the endurance rider!!

I believe it is a great saddle for the price, and will fit a large variety
of horses.  Mine have held up extremely well.  I have yet to find anyting
that improves on it, though I have not ridden the Ansur!

Karen