Re: re:rolling and cramps

>I have never heard or read or researched anything that indicated rolling after a >hard ride could cause trouble. Of course, that doesn't mean it ain't so.

Well, there is some evidence that anything that causes a lack of 'fill' in the abdomen of large herbivores makes it easier for intestines to move around into positions they aren't supposed to be in, since the hindgut isn't very well tacked into place.  Example, displacements are more common after giving birth; or in cattle, if for some reason the rumen isn't properly filled with fermenting forage then the abomasum is alot more likely to migrate around and get the cow into trouble.  Technically, I suppose a horse that had gone 50-100 miles and had a decrease in gut fill could *potentially* be more likely to roll and displace something, probably cecum---but I wouldn't consider it enough of an issue to prevent them from rolling after a ride.  I guess I would rather use that as just one more reason to provide the horse with plenty of opportunity to eat throughout the ride. :-)

I agree with everything else you had to say, Lisa, although if a horse is cramping after a roll (we're talking a horse that just finished a ride, right?) then I would be more prone to suspect he needs more e'lyting and waterwaterwater (on the inside, not the outside.) more than specific vitamin deficiencies.

Susan G