Re: RC: Re: Auto vs. manual for towing

I'm not really sure, maybe someone can help here, but I don't think Indy
cars
have true standard transmissions. I don't believe they have to clutch
unless
they are bringing them to a stop or starting from standing.

Many big turcks are going to this type of transmission as are busses.
When I was
helping a friend look for a new towing vehicle we spent some time at the
Freightliner dealer and test drove several and many of the Business
Class
Freightliners were equiped with this type of transmission. You could
upgrade to
the Allison automatic for an extra say 6000. It's a standard which you
use the
clutch to start off and to stop but it otherwise shifts itself at
progrommed
points (which you can reprogram). Or you can shift it yourself by
pushing a
button. It is, however, not an automatic.

Of course - except maybe for GM with the Allision - the pickup makers
are still
way behind the technology and tyring to make their own - both manual and
automatic - which don't hold up very well. The mechanic where I take my
vehicles
for work told me one time that the transmission in a 20 year old pickup
is much
better built than the ones in today models.

Now as far as a woman at Indy, welllllll errrrrrrrr............ when she
rolls
into the winners circle.......... let Howard know!

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions