AERC-Ridecamp-My comments

To Ridecamp List and the AERC members on this list.

The fact that I posting here today indicates a position taken.

I have been working though this position paper for a few weeks. Still
cannot get it right.  I will try to make a few points as best I can.
 May not be in any given order and I will try to keep the comments short. (Not so, my
error.)

1. I have resigned from the Horsescience list. I cant serve two
camps. I do NOT subscribe to the philosophy that says I must choose from one camp
(religion) or the other, then be told if I do not resign from this
one (RC), I will be expelled from the other. I wanted freedom to choose and
participate is both lists. After the latest degrading comments by Tom
about AERC, this list and Endurance riders in general, I made this
decision.

2. I am AERC - first, last, always.  The world of Endurance Riding/Racing
here in the USA - DOES  -for me - revolve around AERC.

3. I ran for the AERC BOD to make a difference, to work from within
AERC, for the common good of all, the sport, horses and members. Many
bitch and complain, and trash the BOD, the sport, the rides, but only 28 are
trying to manage this organization and the sport from the inside. Plus you
add to that number, the dedicated office staff and about 50 to 100
other members that
work with the BOD, plus the RideVets and Ride managers ;
The sport continues to grow and develop and will not be replaced.

4. No ONE knows all the answers. I highly respect Tom Ivers, always
have and still do. I do not care for his politics.  I am sure there
will be a limited group of co-subscribed members of both lists, that
will pass comments back and forth. I just could not support AERC and
work on the BOD AND remain on the ti list. A conflict in principle I could not deal
with.

5. I also have problems with many on this list, those who set themselves up as the 'final
answer' and proclaimed expert  on an 'issue'. Then take on all those
who disagree with a vengeance. Therefore from time to time, I take a
'time out' from Ridecamp.    OR, I just do not respond.
 Personal assaults on individuals or companies does no one a justice

 Ridecamp is both good and bad for AERC and Endurance.
  NO ONE gets tossed off this list for speaking their mind,
telling it as they see the issues. Steph allows a great amount of
digression from the main purpose of this list , to discuss and  learn
about the sport of endurance, to educate each other, either with academia
or by anecdotical experiences. In our sport, the bottom line is 'what
works, works'  (to paraphrase a quote).  What we are told by the
experts-(science),  will not always yield working or acceptable results.

6. "Thinking out of the box." We all define what that is, based on
what or how we thin.,  About what our goals are. I have and will always question
why something works or does not work, then look for a workable and or
better solution.  It will mean at times, doing something - a new protocol ,
that is way out of the current science, AND sometimes the new thinking
works. What is wrong here, is to defame anyone (public or private) who wants to think
different. Let the ideas work out and prove or fail out on the trail.
 If we had ALL the answers, we would not need anymore Phds.

7. Winners-Loosers. We almost all can define a looser in our sport.
One who does not care for for his horse AND will not learn.?
 Even though, most of us care greatly for our horses,  we will still error and
make mistakes. The horse looses, then I have to be the looser also.
The winner learns from that and moves on.
 We each define our goals and achievements. When we reach that level, we
are a winner.  I will never be first in a race, not because I do not
WANT to be first, I do not have the resources (horse) to get there, (yet). If that
goal is not obtainable for me, then I set another and work for that.
My first goal, is ALWAYS FINISH with a horse in condition to continue,
to be sound and well. That makes US winners. It takes years and miles
of actual riding and competition to understand that principle.
MY quest is to learn and understand HOW to archive that goal EVERY TIME
I compete.

8. This list is not the absolute forum for interaction with the AERC
BOD. Most of us are on-line, and our phone numbers are listed, call -
 I do Listen, and you WILL hear my opinion also.
 I do READ all the postings, delete many, read and save others. I
take some ideas and work with them. Some are passed to the BOD, as
well as the other BOD members on this list, we do LISTEN, but may not
comment.
This list is NOT AERC, just a very small percentage of AERC members are active on this List.
 Many on the list are NOT members.
How about joining, then pass your advice on to the BOD?

9. AERC - AERC INT  FEI.  AERC by our Charter, Bylaws and Rules, has
NOTHING to do with FEI Competition. NOR SHOULD WE. The ONLY policy or
rules issues I support are those as written. (Rules of Competition) I have been to many FEI
level rides, and other cross sanctioned rides, sanctioned under AERC
and FEI and IAHA, and other sanctioning bodies. Ride management and
ride vets, have the options to increase the standard or level of
performance. Such as LOWERING the vet check pulse parameter.
I have yet to observe a 'real' AERC rule violated at any AERC/FEI
ride. VC organization, format and parking does NOT fall under AERC Rules.

Co- Sanctioned rides have been accepted for 20 years. You DO all know
IAHA -Sweepstakes - spells MONEY? Then there was the ROC, big high
dollar awards. Those who missed the ROC, cannot begin to image the
RULES By SUSAN. The rides ran great. Then there was the Cosequin
Challenge, with all its issues. Only 2, but the riders came, FEI, AND
Regulars.

AERC- INTERNATIONAL. This is the proper agency (?) to address changes in the
rules for FEI competition not AERC BOD. When I ran for BOD, I
supported  some of issues from Jerry Fruth (VP), to fix 'problems' or concerns
within the AERC-I 'committee'. I belive the BOD AND AERC-I
management, resolved most of these issues. I do not have any agenda
for or against AERC-I or for that matter FEI. Ride managers have the
option to sanction with any sanctioning body ALONG with AERC. As long
as the AERC rules for AERC riders are not breached, we, the BOD has no
say in it. If FEI were not allowed, then NO other sanctioning would be
allowed. Equal for all.
If you want to 'work' with AERC-I and FEI Endurance,
volunteer for a position on the AERC-I Committee.
We DO NOT need another 'Endurance' governing body. We fix what we
have - if it is broken.

10. AERC has more issues to resolve then AERC-I and FEI. As many have
said, why all this fuss over a 5% minority? We have other issues that
require my attention more then this one. Flash- FEI does NOT want to
take over AERC. They really do want to work with us. We have to work
with them also. Suggest one compares USCTA Combined Training to 3-Day
Eventing and the varied levels of competition within that sport. It is
quite close to Endurance.

11. I have been in this sport since the 70's, not an AERC member all
that time, but dedicated to the sport of riding long distances on my
horse in a Competitive situation. I cannot think of anything I would
rather do. I will ride and compete until I cant get on my horse.
 AERC is not all it can be, it will always be a changing
organization and sport. It is my 'camp' my 'religion'. I hope to make
it better.

12. I passed this comment on to Tom, with regrets;

I have a different horse to ride on a different trail.
I guess I will start posting to RC again, just when you thought I was
gone.??

- I have read this a dozen times, I am SURE there are errors and
comments that are not clear or may offend.

Going to Liberty Run next week.  If all is well, we will do the 50.

It is the second Selection Trial for the USA EAST Team.

--
 Roger Rittenhouse
 AERC BOD DAL #8263                          mailto:roger@vmaxept.com