Re: RC: Re: Mustang-4 or 5

In a message dated Mon, 14 May 2001  9:42:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "~STACIE FUNK~" <hoocher_01@hotmail.com> writes:

<<
Your mare is more than likly 4. I have 42 head of spanish mustangs, I find
they are grow slower than a other breeds but teeth are teeth , they don't
lie . :)>>

Actually, teeth vary A LOT from horse to horse.  Aging guides are averages, and by the time a horse is 5, it is not uncommon for the teeth to vary from the average by half a year or more.  And even good aging charts will show a range of ages for a given set of dental parameters that varies by as much as 3-4 years, even by the time a horse is in  his early teens.  Genetics play a part, as do environmental conditions that determine wear.  Although it is more difficult to document age with a BLM mustang, I'd base judgment on what sort of documentation there is with the birthdate--for instance, was this horse captured as a youngster, or not, and if so, when.  Or if the horse was born in captivity, I'd go with the documentation rather than trusting the aging by the teeth...

Heidi