Tick Remedy/Removal Archive Compilation

Hi, Ridecampers,

I've done some research in the archives and compiled a list of proposed tick
repellants for my personal use and thought it might benefit somebody else
out there.  I'm not endorsing any of these (I haven't tried most of them); just
found mention of them in the archives.  I think I did leave a few out
because of discussions at the time that seem to indicate the solutions didn't work
or were harmful to the animals.

You can buy Avon SSS online at
http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/product.asp?pdept%5Fid=28&dept%5Fid=109&pf%

I mention that because, formerly, people thought they had to buy direct from
an Avon salesperson.

April & Tanna
Nashville, TN

If you dilute Avon SkinSoSoft for flyspray, add a couple of parts of acetic
acid,  a/k/a vinegar (white apple cide works best).

mix 1 oz. citronella oil (get from the pharmacy or health food store.. they
may have to order it for you), 4oz. skin so soft (Avon), 2 cups white vinegar
and 2 cups water (or less for a stronger mixture).

Homemade Flea Spray:
	1 cup Avon Skin-So-Soft
	1 teaspoon of oil of citronella or eucalyptus
	2 cups of white vinegar
	2 cups of water
	Mix well and apply from a spray bottle (covering eyes). This also helps rid
flies. To discourage ticks decrease water by one cup.

SWAT ointment on the undersides and in the groin area, where there is not
too much hair. It is available in pink and clear

Adams flea and tick repellant

1 cup Avon Skin So Soft bath oil. (bugs really hate it) 1 cup vinegar
(either kind) the rest just water in a one quart (average size) fly spray bottle.

Farnam's Wipe

dog flea and tick powder

Vetrolin

Sevin Dust (a powder for gardens and house hold pets).

Feed garlic in beet pulp mash. (never did find an amount here)

Frontline (spot flea/tick control for dogs/cats); spray available

permethrin concentrate that costs about $30 a quart, and is mixed an ounce
to 2.5 gallons of water or water / oil for direct application.
add 1/3 ounce oil of citronella (from the local pharmacy) and 1/2 to 1 oz
Skin So Soft to previous recipe

I have had good luck with feeding apple cider vinegar, it takes a couple of
days to start working but it seems to keep the ticks off pretty good.

Cat (not dog) tick collars loosely around the fetlock (warning of making
human legs numb, so might not be the best for the horse)

Bath your horse well, then apply a liberal spray of Showsheen, paying
special attention to tail (really saturate the tailbone area), legs, base of mane,
etc. (Avoid the girth and saddle pad area or you'll risk having a revolving
sadddle!)

feed diatomaceous earth

Tick Removal Strategies

Coat the tick with mineral oil and pull gently until it lets go.

pure Citronella oil.

Listerine! You dilute it about 50/50 with water and sponge it on, let it sit
for a while, then rinse it off.