Re: biotin primer (was Hoof Help?)

Hi All -

Susan G wrote-
the only clinical studies published on nutritional supplements for feet used a supplement that provided *only* biotin.   none of those have any clinical data or even a reasonable physiologic rationale behind them to back up their addition (or cost).  I've heard theories about those extra goodies, but none of them actually held water.  If the horse's ration is otherwise decent, then just biotin alone is what you want to add

This is what I've found, also. I've been skeptical about most supplements, and I'm also firmly entrenched in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, and I carry a lifetime membership in the "If it looks to good to be true, it probably is" club. I feed for the most part by clinical data (although I am going to try garlic and vinegar for fly control this summer)

The best (ie, most concentrated) source of biotin I've found is Paragon Biotin Plus.  It has a little methionine or something in there, but is still the most biotin bang for your buck

I will try this one. I've seen it recommended before

The same study tracked how fast results showed up, and because you're supporting new hoof growth, obviously you have to at least wait until new hoof wall grows down, which can be 6-9 months or longer.  You might see some improvement in the sole within a month or two.  The interesting thing is that the study showed continuing improvement for up to three years, so this is the kind of thing you want to continue feeding as a long-term thing.

This is what I need to know, how fast and how much and how long.

I had someone argue with me once that biotin isn't necessary if the horse's diet is "natural" because a healthy hindgut microbial population produces B-vitamins, including biotin.  That's more or less true, but there's a difference between 'adequate' levels and 'optimum' levels.  The gut provides adequate levels, the extra supplement provides optimum levels, which shows up as increased hoof density and tensile strength.  That doesn't work with *every* vitamin or mineral out there, but it does for biotin.

I've read where there is some disagreement as to how much biotin is actually available to the horse from the hindgut. I think this is where things are with Dani. Kit and Bobby have really great hoof horn quality, shape, and size (naturally balanced, no rings, cracks, flares, nothing). They are both several years barefoot, now (btw, there is only one dark hoof between the two of them). This tells me that #1 - their KISS diet is very "adequate" (the past 12 and 10 years, respectively) #2 - their environment and excersise is hoof-friendly, and #3 - they have good genetics (Kit, I don't know her past; but I know Bobby's whole family). Dani comes from a line bred for size and muscle, but unfortunately hoof size and quality is often lacking (btw all dark hooves) So she may be one who will benefit from the "optimum", she just may need that little extra bit. She had to wear pads under her shoes.

By the way, biotin will improve the density of new hoof growth, but doesn't do a thing for *rate* of growth.  Rate changes according to several factors, like temperature, humidity, exercise, etc, but not in response to biotin supplements.

Her feet do grow well, *rate* wise (her better basic diet over the two years that I have had her has helped with that), but the density (thinner walls and sole, in addition to the checks and cracks) could stand improvement. This is where the supp needs to come in. I know her hooves will never increase in size, so I'm just hoping to increase the horn quality.

Good luck. :-)

Susan G

Thank you for your help -

Cheryl in WNY