horse Coughing

Hello Ridecampers,
Polaris has been coughing alot when we first get out on the trail
trotting.
I warm him really well before we start trotting but when we first
start he coughs.
Now he has horse allergies but he has never coughed liked this before.
He has done it the last few times we have ridden.
Now you may be thinking oh theres probably something stuck in his
wind pipe  from eating something.
He does it even when he did'nt eat anything before rideing.
Can any of you give any advise on how to stop the coughing?
Or why it is happening?
Thanks
Colleen K. & Polaris(Mom I swear I did'nt take up smoking this winter)