Re: RC: marking trail

At 8:54 PM -0700 5/14/01, jcmiller wrote:
>Another idea for those ribbons that get torn down or taken because they are
>so pretty!!  For Hopkins Creek, Larry made a long pole with a hook.  One
>stands in the pickup, reaches up and pulls down the branch, puts the clothes
>pin with ribbon on the branch, and wha la!!!  A ribbon that is far out of
>the reach of others!!!  Larry even put a bright patch of orange on the
>bottom of the ribbon so it could be seen better.  Works like a charm.
>Jeanie

We have so much vandalism of our markers, that where we can, we've
used those senior citizen tin can grabber things (there's probably a
proper name for them) to attach clothespins high overhead on the
right on our riverbed sections, and made sure to tell the riders
where to look.

The grabber things are useful for unmarking too.   Make sure to buy
the heavy-duty kind.  About $20 for the good ones.

We've also had poor people take the clothes-pins (because they need
them) and drop the ribbons.  Last year our crews decided to tie the
ribbons on by hand to slow down the um, premature unmarking.  A lot
more work to pull the ribbons after the ride, but they felt it was
worth it compared to having to remark sections of trail repeatedly.

Lynne
(oh, no--too many posts to ridecamp today, I must be one of Tom's 55 IQ riders)

Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/1/01