HOAX>>>>>> AOL Virus Alert

Likelihood:  Hoax
Region reported:  Online
Characteristics:  Hoax
Target platform:  Hoax
Trigger date:  Hoax

Description

BUDSAVER.EXE is not a virus. It is a hoax. The "virus" does not exist. There
is currently no virus that has the characteristics ascribed to BUDSAVER.EXE.
It is a sham, meant only to panic new or inexperienced computer users.

The hoax message includes one of the following "warnings":

Warning #1

DANGER! VIRUS ALERT!

THIS IS A NEW TWIST. SOME CREEPOID SCAM-ARTIST IS
SENDING OUT A VERY DESIRABLE SCREEN-SAVER {{THE BUD
FROGS}}. IF YOU DOWNLOAD IT, YOU'LL LOSE EVERYTHING!!!!
YOUR HARD DRIVE WILL <<>> CRASH!!

DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! IT JUST
WENT INTOCIRCULATION ON 05/13/97, AS FAR AS I KNOW!!
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS WARNING TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS
POSSIBLE... BELOW IS WHAT THE SCREENSAVER PROGGIE WOULD
LQQK LIKE!

File: BUDSAVER.EXE (24643 bytes)
DL Time (28800 bps): < 1 minute

Warning #2

READ THIS MESSAGE IMMEDIATELY

Someone is sending out a screen-saver of the Budweiser
frogs.  If  you download it, you will lose everything!
Your hard drive will crash   and someone from the
Internet will get your screen  name and password!
DO  NOT   DOWNLOAD IT UNDER ANY  CIRCUMSTANCES! It
just went into circulation  yesterday, as far as we
know. Please distribute this message. This is  a  new,
very malicious virus and not many people know about it.
This information was announced yesterday morning from
Microsoft. Please share it with everyone that might
access the Internet.

Once again, pass this along to EVERYONE in your address
book so that this may be stopped. AOL has said that this
is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy for
it at this  time.

Please practice cautionary measures and forward this to
all your contacts.

Please ignore any messages regarding this "virus" and do not pass on any
messages regarding it. Passing on messages about this hoax serves only to
further propagate it.

  Tell a Friend about this Write-Up