Regulations for Recreational Activities

Below is something I read recently online, it is by the
American Horse Council. I'd wager (if I was a gambler) that
if the government realized they could be cutting their own
throats (or pocketbooks) by some of their regulations, not
just this one either, but also the trail issues, maybe
they'd think twice. I don't know for sure, just kind of
wondering online......... here's the article:

AHC Proposes to Update National Economic Study
The American Horse Council has begun efforts to update the
National Economic Impact Study of the Horse Industry in the
US, which was released in 1996. That Study, done by Barents
Group of Washington, DC, a KPMG Company, established that
the horse industry had a $112 billion effect on the US
economy, involved more than 7 million Americans and 6.9
million horses, and supported 1.4 million full-time jobs.
The Study also documented the size of the horse industry in
eleven states.

"The National Economic Study has been extremely helpful to
the industry's efforts in Congress and in state
legislatures," said AHC President Jay Hickey. "When you
meet with elected officials, one of the first things they
want to know is the economic importance of the industry
involved. These figures have also been very helpful in
documenting the size of the industry to the press and
media. The National Study has allowed the industry to speak
with authority about our true economic size and effect,
which is substantial. Before the Study we simply
'guesstimated'."

"When we released the Study in 1996, we hoped to update it
every five years. Now is the time to initiate that effort
if we want to complete it within the five year period,"
said Hickey.

The 1996 Study was funded by several organizations,
including the American Quarter Horse Association, Breeders'
Cup, Jockey Club, Keeneland Association, Kentucky
Thoroughbred Association, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders
Association, and many individual horse owners and breeders.
"While we trust that these organizations will participate
again, we really hope that other organizations and
individuals will also provide the financial support needed
now that they have seen the importance of the Study at the
national and state levels," Hickey said.

The American Horse Council, the national legislative
representative for the horse industry, works daily with
Congress, federal agencies and the industry itself to
create an environment that benefits horses and the people
who depend on, care about and enjoy them. A non-profit
organization, the AHC's activities are funded entirely
through membership dues. The AHC represents all breeds,
disciplines and activities as well as owners, breeders,
veterinarians, farriers, competitors, trainers, jockeys,
drivers, breed registries, horsemen's associations, race
tracks, horse shows and rodeos, commercial suppliers and
state horse councils.

copyright American Horse Council

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~