Re: RC: Priorities

In a message dated 1/5/01 12:40:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, lanconn@tds.net
writes:

<< Endurance is a fringe equestrian
 > sport, and if we think that EN could be sold on newsstands any time in the
 > foreseeable future, we're deluding ourselves.

You know, I'm not so sure about this one.  Course, I'm never sure about
anything, so I could be wrong.  But my take is, when it comes to public
reaction to anything, you just never know until you see how it turns out.
What becomes popular during a certain time always amazes me.  Who thought Rap
music would last?

I have acquaintances, who I see at the feed store, and these are "cowboy"
types, they ride their Quarter horses and chase cows around an arena and call
it a sport.  But when they listen to me talk about endurance riding, my
experiences (and I tell them what really happened; not my imaginative
versions), they listen intently.  They ask questions. They seem really
interested.   I've even passed out a few ride applications to some, advising
them to try the LD only, for their first experience.

I think our sport is more of a mystery to a lot of horse people.  Until you
do endurance, you just have no idea what it's all about.  I found that out
two years ago and my life hasn't been quite the same since.

I, for one, would love to see EN on the magazine circuit.  Who knows, maybe
I'll even get my name in it one day, if Dance keeps finishing these 50's
while the weather's too cold for most of the good horses and riders to do
much until the spring.

You just never know how the public is going to react to something until you
see their reaction.  Heck, I never thought Clinton would get elected and Bush
sure is a big surprise.  And when Clinton got caught with his pants down (so
to speak) I thought he was gone for sure.  And, remember that movie,
"Glenngary Glen Ross", or something like that?  It was a big hit, got great
reviews, had Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey and Jack Lemmon in it.  I went to see
it, and I sure did not understand why the critics were saying it was such a
great moviie.  I though it sucked, nothing but cursing thoughout the whole
thing.  You just never know.   Go figure.

Well, I'm off to another ride this weekend.  Osceola: 55 miles.  And I'm
gonna go soooooo slow.  Wish me and Dance Line luck, with the kid and Rebel,
of course.

cya,
Howard