Scratches

I've been reading the posts about scratches with great interest, but I would like to know if there is a good way to prevent scratches from happening to begin with. My older horse will sometimes get scratches doing a 50 miler. Actually, the scratches aren't apparent until the Sunday morning after the ride. I keep his pasterns clipped during the ride season and try to remember to apply Desitin at every vet check. This doesn't always work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks - Jeanne and Sonny