Re: anyone with opinions/experience with treeless saddles?

Joan,
I've used the Sportsaddle for couple years now for endurance
training and competing and on horses with different
body types.  I can tell you that I noticed an
*immediate* difference in one geldings head carriage and
shoulder extension.  I just purchased a new gelding.  The
owners told me that he would buck if I used the "wrong"
saddle with him.  He has a completely different body type
but the same saddle worked very
well with him, and there has been no indication of pain or
discomfort.  I also have used this same saddle with my Haflinger
mare (very wide and no withers).  It fits her better than any
other I've tried.

I just became a dealer because I think so highly of them.
At every ride I attended last year, I had at least one person
approach me asking to try out my saddle.

I live in NE Iowa (about 1 hr north of Dubuque).
There are lots of options as to customizing these saddles for
you and your horses' needs.  Please keep in mind that
ordering one "off the rack" allows you to try it for 10 days with
moneyback guarantee.  Customizing negates that guarantee and
there will be extra charges.  I have price lists/info if you need them.
Resale on these is excellent.  As a matter of fact, I used my
saddle for almost 2 years and just sold it for only $100 less
than I paid.  I simply wanted to order different options.

I attended a saddle fitting seminar in December conducted
by Dr. Joyce Harmon of Harmony Equine Clinic out east.
She is also a veterinarian.
Her statement regarding the Sportsaddle was that she was
skeptical upon first hearing of it.  However, after doing pressure
readings with it, she now states that "with the correct pad" it is
rare to have any pressure points with this saddle.  One horse
presented (headed for international endurance competitions)
had one shoulder bigger than the other, other chiro problems,
and the owner was having a difficult time finding a saddle that
fit.  Dr. Harmon recommended the sportsaddle as it would likely
be the only saddle that would accommodate the shoulder differences.

Dr. Harmon showed us several computer readings with different
sportsaddles/horses.  The *only* pressure points seen were
over withers/spine, due to wrong type pad.  You need to use
a gulleted pad such as Skito/Equalizer pad.  Also need to use
at least 1" of pad.  Skitos are great because you can really
customize your pad with minimal extra cost.  *Your* comfort
can be greatly affected by what pad is used.  I can share my
experiences with those type problems if you'd like.

Features/options depend on your style preference and fitting
needs.  You can order higher pommel and cantle, horn or no
horn, square or round skirts, fenders or no fenders, roughout
suede or smooth leather, tooled leather or plain.  Models are
available for different disciplines such as endurance, cutting,
reining, barrel racing and show.  With silver or not.

Rigging can be changed easily to accommodate each horse.
Stirrup setting can be easily changed to put your leg
directly under you or more traditional western setting.

Do your pasos have the same saddle fit problems as many
arabs such as short backs?
Why don't you email or call me with your specific needs and questions?
I'll be happy to help you.
Sally Hafkemeyer
AERC # 536
Elkader IA
319-255-2155
hafke7@netins.net

> From: guest@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:  anyone with opinions/experience with treeless saddles?
> Date: January 09, 2001 10:44 PM
>
> Joan Theisen luvmypasos@clipclop.com
> anyone with opinions/experience with treeless saddles?  I am
contemplating the treeless saddles for my paso finos - any info is
appreciated.  please email me privately at luvmypasos@clipclop.com or
pasolady@mail.com. thank you.