(no subject)

In a message dated 01/07/2001 3:58:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eyler@mindspring.com writes:

<< Am I the only person who's appalled that Howard was paid for EN's
 publication of Part 1 of his screed about Dance Line's near-death at a ride?
 (The complete article would have been interesting and useful if someone had
 edited out all the crap.)>>

If Howard's statement is non-facetious (and he has been known to interject
some humor in his posts and he loves to stir the pot), then it is the first I
personally have heard that the Executive Director decided to pay him for his
article.  I wouldn't be too hasty to believe that he was serious.  Better
find out for sure before becoming appalled.  If he was being serious about
it, you should understand that the ED was trusted to run the office on a
day-to-day basis as he saw fit.

 <<To AERC directors:  Is the current policy of absolute non-remuneration,
 under which experts like Susan Garlinghouse are expected to donate their
 substantive articles, and which has resulted in the loss of DSS's monthly
 column, at least partially a reaction to this gross error in judgment on the
 part of AERC's management? >>

I don't think so.  It usually has not been AERC's policy to pay for articles,
as AERC is primarily an organization of volunteers, with the exception of the
office staff.

Barbara McCrary
West region director