Re: RC: EN policy

In a message dated 01/08/2001 9:00:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Howard4567@aol.com writes:

<< But I know it can happen at a ride, and I see similar
 situations almost every time I attend one.  Competition can drive people to
 do things that they, normally, wouldn't do with a horse, and I just wanted
 explain what happened to me and Dance Line.  What can happen if you are too
 focused on winning and not focused enough on your horse's well being.

Horses can get into serious metabolic trouble even though the rider is not
being competitive.  Sometimes it's just the horse's predisposition to have a
particular metabolic failure.  Example: my husband's horse, who WILL not
drink enough water on the trail.  Dehydration can push him over the edge,
into thumps and colic.  It just happened to him recently, on a desert ride.
It may be that he cannot handle such arid conditions and will have to be
ridden on rides that have more humid air, though not necessarily something as
humid as the east in summer!

Barbaa