Re: Breeching

Finally, something I can contribute.  If you take a look at this link:
http://www.horsecouncilbc.com/trailheadsupplies/mvc-086f.jpg

This is a Canadian supplier, but they have good stuff.  This link shows a
breast collar and breeching set, but they do sell them seperately.  I bought
the nylon/biothane breeching about 3 years ago.  Still looks like new and
doesn't rub the horse.  I do ride endurance, but picked up the breeching
trick from Back Country Horsemen.  If you have a BCH chapter nearby, they
could probably point you to a local supplier.

The bum strap is about 2 1/2 biothane, but I haven't measured it to be sure.
My breeching has only one strap up to the girth ring, instead of two straps
for a pack saddle.  Reverse the straps that attach to the britching so on
each girth ring, the strap hangs permanenly from there.  Then you just add a
flat snap clip right at the flank, so that you don't have any clips
underneath your leg.  Kinda hard to explain.

My horse has a very sensitive tail from a bad infection when she lost a few
inches of her tailbone, so I switched her back to britching and No Problems
thereafter.  I ride steep mountins, and it works great.  Just be sure to
acclimatize the horse to the breeching before you ride, and preferably in a
round pen.  Start with the butt strap a bit loose, but also practice with it
tightened up, or else the first time you head down a hill, you could have a
disaster on your hands!!

Regards,

Sarah McIntosh & Saffy
Abbotsford, BC