Re: RC: Strangles

kathy_mayeda@atce.com writes:

A horse with strangles will
have immunity too once they get over it.  Don't have to worry about the 60%
effective vaccinations anymore.  Not saying that it's a good idea to expose
your horse to strangles.  It's a drag and a worry to have a horse with
strangles but it's not necessarily the end of the world.

Well, sadly, Strangles definitely is fatal sometimes.  A friend of mine just
lost her 17 year old mare to strangles a couple of weeks ago.  The mare was
in fine health, got strangles, died.  Very sad outcome.  Also, just because
your horse has had Strangles does not mean that he is immune for life.  My
Paint gelding had Strangles twice in his life once as a 3 year old and once
as a 20 year old (how's that for bad luck?).  Both times he was a very sick
puppy and I feared that he wouldn't make it.  The last time took several
months of recouperation.  Also, (I could have this wrong) but I was under the
impression that the vaccine was only 25% effective -- anybody have other data?

For more information on Strangles check out:
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/VetScience/q_july96/q_july96.htm#Strangles

Sylvia