Re: Padding - Good or Bad?

Kristene wrote:
>>how bad is it to keep pads on the feet from one shoeing to the next?  Is there any danger of rubbish getting lodged and rotting?  And what about thrush?  Can I re-use the pads if they aren't too damaged?  Would using pads cause the sole to soften - he is AYRAB with good hard feet?<<
Kristene:
I had to keep a leather pad on Toc once, when he cut his foot open, to keep dirt and stuff out of the cut.  The problem with a leather pad is that, if it gets wet, the leather does get soft, and it will allow water to permeate.  I think you could then risk fungal infections and general ickiness in the foot.
I found that, after two weeks, the pad was revolting, and I removed it.  Of course, in our Winters you won't have that problem.  I had the leather pad on during those heavy rains we had last March, when it seemed as if the entire world was wet.  It's something to bear in mind for our Summers.
I have a friend who used to put a plastic pad on her old TBs feet, under the shoes.  They seem a better option.
Tracey