Re: Padding - Good or Bad?

Does he NEED pads?  If he does, then I would recommend you use plastic pads
(or mesh) and fill it with Equi Pak. (If you use mesh or gutter guard you
can always cut it out when you don't need it anymore without having to
reshoe the horse).  Pine tar and oakum which is used under leather pads can
come out and it's difficult to pack it in there tightly.  Silicone, the old
standby, also oozes out before it can set.  Equi Pak can be used under
leather or plastic and it conforms nicely to the shape of the foot and FILLS
it.  It sets within a minute or two.  That is all we use anymore.  We always
make sure the hoof is very clean and also apply Thrushbuster under pads
before filling it as a safetly precaution.  Nelson shoes horses with pads
that stay on for long periods of time and the sole is perfectly healthy.
However, we don't believe they should be left on year round....there should
always be "breathe" time from pads AND shoes for a portion of the year.
Maggie