RE: bitlessbridle

<<i tried it on my head strong gelding and he rode right through it! but my
girlfriend got it and she LOVES it.>>

What I have suggested to some customers is to go stand beside your horse
facing forward.  Put your hands near the horse's cheeks and then one at a
time, use very light pressure to see if he moves his head away.  Alternate
sides and try for the lightest touch you can.  If he responds at one level
of pressure, try reducing that.  If you get a good reaction and also get
improvement in the response (ie response with less and less pressure),
chances are good that he will respond well to these types of cross-pull
bridles.  You can also do this to ask the horse to raise and lower his head.
I found this to be a good exercise to keep my youngster from slinging his
head around when ever I asked him to move it.

The horses I've seen have initial difficulties are a very strong willed
mustang who now goes beautifully in a sidepull and would likely work with
the cross-pull and an argumentative mare that was used to a tight chin chain
as the only thing that could control her.  Both horses have been re-trained
to respond much better, but it took some time.  Most horses I've seen had
almost no adjustment period.

I do believe that a horse that is intent upon running through one if these
will - same as one intent upon running through a bit.  There is less "bite"
however and the horse may or may not choose to acknowledge that.  If the
horse is generally willing to obey (even my VERY competitive mare), they
will respond well.

There's also a psychological factor - I had a hard time believing I could
trust my 4 yr old to respond w/o a bit!  But both this young gelding and the
mare actually behave better bitless because they are more comfortable.

Marlene
www.mossrockendurance.com