Ansur Safari

Chelle Sherman cms@fluent.com
Hi all - this message is mainly for Helga in reference to her posting questions on the Ansur saddle. I've been using mine since November. I rode it in competition for the first time last weekend (just a 25 mile ECTRA CTR). As I had suspected, the results were great - absolutely clean, happy, healthy back and no soreness whatsoever. I also felt good, though I've been riding two horses all through the Winter, so it may just be that I'm coming into this season more fit than usual. The trail was only moderately hilly, but it was rocky in comparison to what my horses are used to, and involved lots of rock, rut, and root picking maneuvers up and down hill. I felt very balanced and solid in the Ansur and really had an enjoyable ride. I rode with no breast collar and it did not slip at all. I bought this saddle for my wide "propane tank" shaped mare, but I didn't ride her on this ride - I rode her slimmer sister on her rookie ride. The Ansur fits her just as well. Overall, I'm happy. It does have a wider seat than your average dressage-type saddle, but I adjusted to this quickly. I would recommend that you use a full sheepskin cover over the saddle, because the leather is a bit slippery. I would also recommend Wintec Webbers instead of traditional 1" stirrup leathers - because there's no tree in which to recess the stirrup bars, bulk from the leathers is more noticeable, but I find that I don't feel it at all with the Webbers and the sheepskin cover. I have used all kinds of pads, with equal success, but I like to compete with a skito under it, just for some extra "squish" and support. Donnis Thran likes the supracor with it. Like I said in a previous post, I have tried this saddle and the sports saddle (which I tried for one to two month periods on two separate occasions), and I think that the Ansur is a far superior option in a treeless saddle - just my opinion, though. Helga, if your horse is in heaven (mine are as well) - go for it! I will do my mare's first 50 (god willing) in August, so then we'll see how it passes
est. Until then, I'm happy to answer questions, and I'm totally unconnected to the company, so don't worry that I'm going to sell you anything : )

Chelle