RC: training/conditioning question (long)

*** This looked like a fun message to reply to, so here goes!

so my questions are:

1.) do you guy's let your horses run for home? i feel like it's wonderful
conditioning but a bad habit.

*** I do now..in certain places only but...this was after much time and
training which assured me Mystery would Listen to whatever gait I wanted at
whatever time no questions asked. You work up to this, you don't do it
because it is easy.  We have one short hill right at the end and now I can
whoop and hollar while he blasts up but guess what? He will always listen to
me at the top and stop.

2.) how do i get him going forward and straight on the way out?

*** You be serious about it which may mean using additional aids to get the
point across.  My trainer has me use the crop on him _once_ as reinforcement
to the leg and guess what...I don't have to do it again.  Does he listen in
the arena?  Then he _knows_ how to listen..he is avoiding the task by
finding things to spook about.  Do you bend your horse, get his attention,
side pass...anything that makes him work harder yet still move...soon he
will get the point it is easier to move forward instead of sideways.

i would love to get him to do the exact opposite of what he's doing now. so
we could race out and get done with the conditioning part and then have a
nice leisurely stroll home.

*** You will but be serious with him about what you want!  Right now I trot
and canter Mystery out...he knows we are doing it and that when we do turn
for home its on a relaxed rein...then he practices walking fast.  But it
took time and discipline and it took me to stop being a wimp about it.  He
is still spoiled, but not in this way! <g>

*** By the way, he is 14 this year and doing exceptionally well.

*** Happy riding all, please let us know how it turned out.

***Kimberly (&Mystery The Morab..."I get to eat green grass if I
listen..right?!")
Sky Ranch, Marin County, CA