RE: Fibrotic Myopathy

Has anyone ever dealt with a horse who has had fibrotic myopathy? If
 so did you opt for surgical treatment and was it successful? Thanks

Hi MiMi,

About 5 years ago I had an Appaloosa/Quarterhorse cross that developed
this problem.  I have no idea how it happend or when. My vet gave
injections for  a while I can't remember what the product was we used
and it seemed to soften the hardness in the muscle somewhat.

I did not opt for the surgery because both of the vets I used at the
time (one holistic/one conventional ) did not give a very good
prognosis .  Apparently, you can get more scar tissue and cause more

problems than you had previously.  Also, one of the vets did not
feel the surgery was safe.  As I understood the proceedure you have
to actually cut the ligments thereby freeing up the affected leg.

One of the vets did not feel this was a safe thing to do.  I also
used silica (homeopathic remedy) for sometime that did help too.
She never had the full  range of motion of the leg but was able
to do lots of the things she did before.  She was basically a pleasure
horse.  My farrier now has a quarterhorse with the same problem and
he is opting out of the surgery too.  I am not sure this has been much
help for you but getting more than one opinion is probably a good idea.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Vickie Bowling
Rixeyville,VA
Vickie Bowling
vbowling@onebox.com - email