Re: RC: the virus

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:37:43 -0700, "John Teeter" <johnt@goldhill.com>
wrote:
>Now I could filter these all potential bad things, but to do it
>entirely, I >would also restrict HTML formating in the messages
>(as viruses can hide in >there too).
-snip-
>comments?

Short form:  HTML? We don't need no stinking HTML--this is email.
(apologies to Blazing Saddles fans)

Long form:   HTML? We ain't got no HTML! We don't need no HTML. I
don't have to show you any stinkin' HTML!
(with respect for fans of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

Very seriously, I see little to lose and a great deal to gain from
dropping all attachments and the various non-standard HTML.  IMHO,
little substance is added by the detailed formatting and serious
posters will soon learn how to turn HTML off in their email clients
when their posts turn up empty.

Best,
Ben Turner
bturner@ida.org