Ride Vets - Not just on the edge!

After having Dr. Nancy Elliott come out and do chiro on my horse last
week, I truly came to appreciate how important the ride vets are in terms
of the welfare of the horse and the education of riders.  This is not
limited to the horse "ridden on the edge" in competition, but the
welfare of the horse in general as well.

Since Beau is a struggle to keep in balance, I feel very lucky to have
such a talented ride vet/chiro in our area that understands what it takes to
keep
a horse in balance for endurance.  She has treated him only three times -
seems like every spring for the last three years, but she remembers
his issues.  She always checks on shoeing and dental work.  I had Beau's
teeth floated in February, but apparently his mouth wasn't balanced so
I was lucky enough to get Dr. Richard Miller, equine vet/dentist out to
balance his teeth.  Went out for a training ride last night for the first
time after a farrier visit and his dental work - and it was amazing how
much lighter and balanced he was!

Dr. Richard Miller and my farrier know Nancy, and they both
commented on how she never minces words when it comes to a horse's care.
She and other ride vets have done a lot to educate us endurance riders
and after the last two weeks of "equine bodyshop" I am truly appreciative
of this.  When she told my that Beau had thumps after a ride, she only
had to give me one look, and I felt truly ashamed that I had not taken
better care of Beau because I know she does not take these things lightly!

K.