Re: RC: deep digital flexor strain

Lucy --- The best thing for these kinds of injuries is therapy.  You can't
just give the horse 4 to 6 weeks off and then expect them to return back to
work.  By therapy, I mean you need to start out walking your horse daily
and gradually increase the time.

A typical rehab schedule is as follows (I just happen to have a copy of one
that was put together by UC Davis):

This is for a "mild" strain, horse should be confined to a small paddock or
stall
0-30 days  Hand walk 15 minutes twice daily
30-60 days  hand walk 40 minutes daily
60-90 days  Ride at a walk 20-30 minutes daily

If it was a 'moderate' injury, you'd still be hand walking 60 minutes daily
at 60-90 days.

continuing:

with a *good* prognosis, after 90 days (and probably after another ultrasound)
90-120 days, ride at walk 30 minutes daily
120-150 days, ride at a walk 45-60 minutes daily
150-180 days, add 5 minutes of trotting every two weeks

180-210 days, add 5 minutes trotting every 2 weeks
210-240 days, add canter 5 minutes every 2 weeks
240-270 days, full flat work; no racing, speed work or jumping

Good luck!

Karen
in NV