Re: RC: driving questions

The overcheck, properly adjusted on a driving horse, keeps his head where it
belongs, NOT necessarily "up in the air".  It helps to balance the horse at
speed on the track.  In teaching a horse to drive, the overcheck is not horrible
necessary, unless you suspect the horse may kick or buck, in which case, it is
MUCH harder for him to do so.  The overcheck should be VERY lose (almost
effective) for starters.  You will find out if you need one of not later on down
the road.

BTW, from personal experienced behind a standardbred IN A RACE: the horse was
passing the "in-out" gate from the track and tried to "duck" off the track, so I
hit her with the whip, whence she promptly kicked, fell down and tossed me over
her head.  You never saw such a mob tying me get us OFF the track before the
rest of the horses in the race came around for the second lap.........

We were both fine, so for the second heat, we tied her tail to the sulky...that
way she'd have to lift the cart and me if she was to kick.  We did make it
around both times the second heat...I don't know who learned more, me or
her....  I still remember her name: Mazie C.  That was 25 years ago.....

Teddy

--
Teddy Lancaster

Home at last!!!! 10,000 miles, 18 states, 6 weeks.
Next Attending Equine Affaire April 2-10, 2001, Columbus, OH
http://www.equineaffaire.com

If they are shooting at you, you must be doing
something right--

Does this mean I cannot tell the Emperor he has
no clothes unless I have a Kingdom?
--

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
1348 Township Road 256