driving questions

I just got a jog cart and harness and plan to teach my 6 yr old to drive.  he's pretty sensible, and is used to being long lined w/ the bitting rig.
my questions- should I use the over check?  bridle came w/ a  cheap 1/2 cheek driving snaffle (no seperate overcheck bit).  I've been riding him in a bit similar to a Dr. Bristol and he responds better w/ that than the plain snaffle.

also should I use the blinders?  what are the pros and cons?
what I'd like to do is just use his regular riding bridle to drive with.

thanks-
Anita Carlson
ranger2@net-magic.net