Re: RC: Strongid Daily

In a message dated Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:09:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Rides 2 Far <rides2far@juno.com> writes:

<<
Ooh boy. I was there for that one, it was mid-June.  O.K. Heidi, I didn't
know this horse was on daily Strongid, but tell me if this is the sort of
colic you saw.  I had never seen one like it.  Horse passes vet check
well.  Not being over ridden, experienced horse and rider.  When he
coliced they ran a nose tube and he was full of water.  They gave him
fluids, but they went nowhere.  They'd have to run a tube and it all came
right back out his nose.  >>

Yep, that's a classic case of anterior enteritis.  The fluid refluxing up the stomach tube is generally measured in gallons, and you have to be putting it in IV faster than it comes out the nose.  Considering the stomach only holds about two gallons, you can see how quickly these can become serious!  This is NOT a very common sort of colic, which just makes it all that more suspicious when most of them seem to be on Strongid C, when most endurance horses are NOT on Strongid C...

Heidi