Re: RC: strongid daily

In a message dated Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:10:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Libby O'Quinn" <masndixn@hotmail.com> writes:

<< I suppose all this is possible. Endurance does put a horse through alot more
than usual. I suppose it could be possible that under certain conditions
this could pose a problem. I have been told that the wormers not absorbed by
the body so I don't see how it could cause these meltdowns that everybody is
talking about. I must believe that there is more than meets the eye in these
cases.>>

OK, please understand that there is NO difinitive research on this subject, so this is just speculation, but if I were going to propose a research project, here is where I'd look...

The colics that several of us have seen with the Strongid C horses are a very specific type of colic called anterior enteritis, where the small intestine kind of shuts down, and fluid refluxes back up into the stomach.  Untreated, the horse's stomach could actually rupture due to the pressure of the fluid.  These sorts of colics are VERY uncommon, and since most endurance horses are not on Strongid C, it has just seemed odd to some of us that most of the horses in which we've seen this really rare sort of colic have been on it.  While it is true that the Strongid C is not absorbed into the body, it IS entirely possible that it either changes gut flora in some way that predisposes the horse to this problem, or that it has some effect locally in the gut that alters the digestive process in some way.  A great many people report that horses on Strongid C get a sort of "bloom" and gain weight when on it, even if the horses were not infested with worms prior to going on it.  This fu!
rther suggests to me that it cau
ses some sort of local change in the gut itself that affects how nutrients are absorbed in some small way, in addition to killing worms.

This doesn't answer the question, but it helps to define the question that needs to be addressed...

Heidi