Riding with children

Since I'm thinking about it....

I've heard that some diehard endurance riders take their younguns with them on the trail.  What has been ya'll experience?

I can't imagine that it could be safe for a 2-3 yr old--period, no matter how wonderful the horse is.

I would figure that Base Camp and a bunch of other kids/toys to play with would be much more appropriate.  Aren't there teenagers out there who are horse crazy enough to go to the rides and baby sit for ya while you're on the trail?  You can ply them with 'cooling out' the horses after the ride is done if actually riding a horse is part of they deal for them.

Man, when I was younger I'd have (and did) play groom/peeon just to be able to attend without laying out bunches of cash (which I didn't have to lay out) for food/shelter!

Corrine