Re: Re: Strongid & tapes

>I researched this one on the Horseman's Advisor website.  I don't know if I
like promoting myself as The Definitive Answer, but I did research this
recently ... (The only thing I find weird is that with dogs, we treat
roundworms with pyrantel, but tapes with panacur - am I right? And with
horses it seems the other way around. Susan????)<<

This doesn't sound right to me, either?  Unfortunately, I'm a little spoiled
because of Equimax, as I don't have to think about anything other than the
Panacur purge, everything else is in Equimax.

>IMPORTANT:  The best time to treat for tapes is in the dry summer weather
(unless you believe you have a significant infestation, then ASAP) because
the life cycle includes a pasture mite and tapeworms are contracted during
that season.<

What happens if your Summers are wet, like out here?  I treat for Tape every
Spring and Autumn, per vet's advice.

Another thing for any Aussies or South Africans on the list.  According to
the research out her and in Australia, we have to do a different Panacur
purge to the States and England.  Instead of doing the Panacur thing over
five days, we have to give a massive five-day dose in one go (oooh-er, I
hear you all  saying).  My vet had to do a thesis on it for his Aussie Board
exam, and he said that the 5-day thing is simply not efficacious against our
worms.  I was a bit worried about ODing the horses, but they were fine and I
did see a significant improvement in their coats after the purge.

Oh, and we're also seeing cases of liver fluke amongs horses in South
Africa, so be aware if your horses are grazing with sheep.  You just gotta
love this country.  If the gangsters don't getcha, the bugs will!

Tracey