Re: Another beet pulp question

Six pounds of Omolene per feeding is a bit more than I'd personally be happy
with---more than about 4-5 pounds, and you're overwhelming the capacity of
the small intestine to digest and absorb the starch, the excess goes into
the cecum to be fermented and you get not only decreased feed efficiency,
but also increased chance of laminitis, cecal acidosis, colic, etc.

Rather than trying to get him to eat beet pulp straight, since you already
know he'll eat the Omolene, I would start by just adding a handful of beet
pulp to the Omolene, and if he'll eat that, increase the daily amount by
another handful each week.  Sometimes it's just a familiarity thing with
some horses and you have to take forever to sneak it in on them.

Regarding the oil, first make sure the oil is absolutely fresh.  Once
exposed to heat/light/air, veggie oil of any kind goes rancid in about ten
days and horses don't like the taste---some are just more sensitive to it
than others.  Try to keep it in the frig if you can.  You might also try
adding the prilled fats such as FatPak.  I've had good luck getting horses
to eat that that won't touch oil.  Last resort, try adding in just a bit of
rice bran.  I don't like the high phosphorus content, but with the rest of
your ration, you can eventually add 2 pounds a day without trouble.  Start
adding it just a tiny dab at a time, just as with the beet pulp.

Skip adding the Stride.  You're causing more problems than you're solving
and it wouldnt be the first time that horses walk away from their feed just
because they don't like the taste of extra vit-min supplements.

Good luck,
Susan G