new dude at USFS

Candace Bourne jeffeca@vetmed.auburn.edu

DALE BOSWORTH SELECTED AS USDA'S NEW FOREST SERVICE CHIEF

        WASHINGTON, April 12, 2001 -- Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman
today announced the selection of Dale N. Bosworth as the new chief of the
Forest Service. Bosworth succeeds former chief Mike Dombeck who retired from
federal service March 31.

        "Dale Bosworth is a veteran forester who has devoted his career to the
Forest Service," said Veneman. "His background and experience will make him a
great
addition to our team. I am pleased to announce his selection as the 15th chief
of USDA's Forest Service."

        Bosworth currently serves as regional forester for the Forest Service's
Northern Region, which include northern Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and
northwestern South Dakota. As Forest Service chief, Bosworth will oversee an
organization of over 30,000 employees and a budget of $4.6 billion.

        "I'm deeply honored to be asked to be chief of the Forest Service,"
Bosworth said. "It will be a pleasure to lead an organization whose employees
are
recognized for their dedication, professionalism, and leadership in natural
resource management."

        Prior to his current assignment, Bosworth was the regional forester in
the Intermountain Region and deputy regional forester in the Pacific Southwest
Region of
the Forest Service. He also has worked as a forest supervisor and district
ranger.

        Bosworth is a native of California and second-generation forester and
Forest Service employee. He graduated from the University of Idaho in 1966 with
bachelor of science degree in forestry.