Re: RC: EGYPTIONS can Do it.

I had thought - too bad our own Straight Egyptian stallion Salazar Sf had had
a nearly fatal case of endocarditis 2 seasons ago. They thought he would not
make it; then they thought he would never be useful and again and could drop
dead in his stall, let alone working; then the vet staff cheered when he
completed his first LD ride after his attack. They were in sober awe when he
completed another one in the summer heat. They were relieved when it required
a digital steth to even LOCATE the remnants of the slight heart murmur left
over from his disease.

When he was vaccinated last month, our senior vet was astounded and pleased
to find a 22 resting heart rate, and equally pleased with one minute
recoveries after 20 mile rides. At 16 years old, and after his near death
experience, he should not be doing this - but he is. He is straight Egyptian
- Ansata, Pritzlaff - beautiful but not exotic, solid but not heavy - 8" bone
at 15 hands, and a LAZZYYYY temperament! He is a lover not a fighter, calm
even when body slammed by the obnoxious neighborhood horses, and gentle
enough for a 4 year old child to ride - alone (in our ring!). This is our
"EGYPTIAN horse who can't do anything but look pretty. Funny thing is, he
really was not, shall we say, a top notch halter horse - it BORED him silly!
But to GO somewhere? THAT'S where it's at for him! I only wish he had not
gotten that infection of the heart. I wonder where he could have gone. So
much for straight Egyptians being useless!