Beet Pulp Pellets

What is the proper way to use beet pulp pellets?  I
think I almost choked my horse to death with beet pulp
that just had water put in it.  This was my first
attempt at using beet pulp.

She is ok now, but she was wheezing, spitting up silva
and seriously thinking about laying down.

After walking and trotting around for a bit she is
eating again and back to her old self.

I know it was all my fault.  What should I be doing?

Thanks for sharing.  Charles