whew that was close(long)

It started out just a perfect Saturday evening. I was scheduled to work thru
rush and jet off to go to a local horse show to be "introduced" as a
sponsor. Then we were going to load the horses and two dogs up..grab a
picnic lunch and head out anywhere we could find a trail.
Saturday afternoon the truck makes a noise like a cat was stuck in the drive
belt... pop open the hood, timing belt is s l o w l y wearing out... call
hubby and we cancel jetting off to trail ride..No problem we will ride
behind the house and find out where some of those trails end. Go to the
horse show no introduction....even paid to get in! froze my arse off in the
stands and got tons of dust in my contacts...oh well they were short
handed..had a blast watching the mules under saddle..shook my head when I
saw a bleeding mouth...(not very educated bunch of people here.) young girl
was showing her racking horse and as the judged passed in lineup she blew a
bubble and popped her gum..Oh boy...no manners either! I think I later saw
her pulled over and told the police officer to kiss her patooty with out
removeing her cigarette.
Sunday...ahhh beautiful day to be out to worship Gods work the way I love
to. Horses felt great the dogs were our sentrys (arabs need sentrys you
know.) We come to a creek.. this creek has been dry for the autumn and
winter. It was now full flowing and Ansata had never been thru one. After
much encouragement from "come on Ann" to leg flapping and butt poping we get
one foot to touch the water. Mean while Haley is out in the middle about to
take a bath with husband on board. She is like the dogs...wanting to lay
down in the middle of it and lap it up! Ansata is the prissy chick afraid to
get her suit wet. Well after much debate we get in...and with sides
trembling..we sit there for about 3 minutes. Ansata time is 4 years 3 days
and 12 hours. Not once did the creek reach up and grab her nose or tickle
her tummy.
Off we go on the trail. We find old trail and follow it till we can't go any
farther and turn back..Both hubby and I are back sore and butt sore. Trying
to find the right way back takes us down a hill I thought was safe. Next
thing I feel we are backing up. Ansata has found some wire under the leaves.
I get her to stop and tell her DONT MOVE! she stands dead still and trembles
a little. I have done some fast dismounts in my life all we involuntary
until today. I was off so fast Robert thought I had fallen until he saw me
reaching for my horses legs. I get her clear and she hasn't a piece of hair
out of place. I continue to walk in front of her to "scan" for wire. Robert
and Haley are close to Anns butt. We make it safely home and feed the two
tired dogs and horses. We attempted to sit on the front porch...after 6
months of very very very very light riding..we need some serious cushions!
We go out to eat and Rob heads to the driving range while i head to the car
wash to rinse out saddle pads.
Monday Truck goes to shop...yep a warped pully...$$$!
Tuesday crap hits the fan....We had just visited Dennis and Nancy Minnix in
Bowling Green when we got home to feed the horses..Haley started
choking..Rob happened to have the cell phone so we quickly call the vet. She
attempted to lie down several times but we kept her moving. I thought
colic...Robert was keeping her up while I was on the phone to the vet. I had
never seen a horse choke...but there again she was trying to get down to
roll and we were right there yelling and shouting. I was calling information
and the stupid lady was laughing when I was telling her to hurry my horse
was going down..I said Lady this aint funny get me the damn number. no
apology just was given a number...called vet.... out in 30 minutes..in a
vets eye it is 30 minutes.. in the owners eye it is 4 years 12 days and 3
hours. Vet shows up and by that time I have been made a liar..She manages to
get over her choke...vet gives her some banamine to settle her down..tells
me there is alot of sand colic in this area and says he would add metamucil
to their diet about 3x per week 1/2 cup..needless to say they are back in
the back yard so we can check on them frequently thru the night. Got a call
from one of our employees..store got very busy and gave crappy service...and
all I cared about was our horses..to hell with the business.. this is my
babies. And you know.. the guy I married almost ten years ago that never
thought he would end up scratching a horse because they were dirty said the
same thing..to hell with the business right now..this is our kids.
I am so glad I married this guy.
Carla (men can convert)
Ansata (oh goody we get to visit the dogs!)
Haley (chew chew chew..i must remember to chew!)
Rob (take her pulse again to be really sure!)