Re: RC: Fwd: RC: 100 in a day vs 250 over four days

Endure4fun@aol.com writes:

attitude of doing 100s is best cuz as she says " horse only has to stay
sound
1 day"  Pretty pathetic to me.

Keri

      As a person that does both.  I do feel that your taking this way to
deep.  Karen was only stating that a 100 miler is done in one day.  While
doing a multiday, you have to stay on top everyday of everything day after
day.  Lameness is only one issue here.  Back sore, scratches, girth sores,
getting to thin, cuts, scrapes, can put your horse out of the competition on
any day.
      While any of the things are not good as stated above,  almost everyone
knows that a simple little cut in the wrong place can look very bad and feel
very sore within 24 hours.  With a 100 miler your not riding the next day and
that little cut can be tended to until the next ride.
      I don't think that a 100 miler is as hard to do when your talking
about maintenance problems.  As for a 100 being hard on a horse, the answer
would be "Yes" it's hard.  As for a mulitdays being hard on a horse, well,
from what I've seen over the years, it's hard the first couple of days and
then with amazement the horses get stronger and meet the required demand,
with a smart rider.  Yes, it's hard, but on totally different aspects.
      I feel, that fast 50's every other weekend is about the hardest demand
that we put on our horses.  Speed will catch up with your horse and someday
something happens...

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
661/513-9269