allergy symptoms/legal meds?

My 7 y.o. has been "punky", not his usual driven/competitiveve self for the last couple weeks. Got a bite, it appears, on his face a few days ago, and swelled up significantly in face and back ankles when stalled. Very unusual. He's been coughing occasionally this morning and I'm thinking allergies, as he got a bad cough last spring also, which didn't respond well to antibiotics. Called vet before the cough thing started and asked for blood testing to see why the sudden decline in enthusiasm, chronic grouchy type attitude, and he's coming out this coming week. With a ride coming up in 2 weeks, look like I'll have to cancel. If it is allergies, is there a legal med, maybe Ventiplumin I've read about, that won't have adverse long term affects? In terms of the blood testing, any suggestions what we're looking at/for? Thanks, Randi in Florida