Re: RC: Fw: bit or bitless

Laurie---You make a great point about training and "hardware".  However,
Bob, my husband's horse, not only had his tongue cut off by a bit, but he
has a short mouth witch caused the bit to lay across his canine teeth.  The
vet refused to pull the teeth.  Instead he floated them and created bit
seats, but Bob still did not like the bit and I don't hold it against him at
all.  I would not want a piece of metal banging around on my teeth either.
Another important factor you brought to up was that your horse still does
better in a hackamore than a bit.  Given your horses past experiences and
training perhaps he has developed his own preference for the hackamore
because you have made it a more enjoyable experience for him.
When making my decision about going bitless or not I will consider training
as well as my horse's preference, physical make-up, and my riding
capabilities.
Thanks for the info.  Erin