From: Rightrider@cs.com [mailto:Rightrider@cs.com]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 8:48 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: RE: inviting UAE to US to compete

post RE the UAE, I can't agree and here's why not. First, I don't think the
riders from the UAE would feel slighted by an invitation which didn't come
with airline tickets for them and their horses (maybe I'm wrong, but I would
certainly rather make the gesture and risk being rejected than not reaching
out or not feeling like I wanted to offer them the opportunity to expand
their experience and expertise by testing themselves and their horses on
some
of the topographical challenges offered by competing in the good 'ol US of
A!)
    Second, if you ever attended the ROC, you know what a "to do" it
was.....far ahead of its time for the most part.  Well that "to do" was the
brain child with most of the done by ONE WOMAN (and yes, I am well aware
that
the path of the ROC did not always run smoothly).  But let's think about
this, if the ROC was be done by ONE WOMAN, what could a half dozen
dedicated/inspired women do (oops sorry boys, didn't mean to leave you out
of
this... just kidding - but only about the "woman" part).
    Thirdly, I don't think rides/races such as the Tevis or the OD need any
additional frills to be perfect.  They are what they are and there is TONS
of
C.L.A.S.S. in both of those events, as anyone who's ever attended or ridden
them knows.  I'll just point out a few of the "special highlights" of Tevis
(only because it's in my backyard and I know it well, I'm sure someone out
there could make a similar list about the OD).  1) Auburn is a gold rush
town
with a facinating history, Old town Auburn is almost right out of a movie
set
(matter of fact it has been a movie set), so is unique and surely of
interest
to foreign visitors. 2) The drive to Robie Park from Auburn is breathtaking,
the visual, baren, stark, inspiring crags, the equal of any dessert and we
aren't even talking about the ride back down the mountains! 3) The UEA has
its Hummers, the Tevis has its volunteers.
4) Where else can you test yourself over the legendary "Cougar Rock?" 5) The
pre-ride dinner is done in true "old west chuck wagon spirit (if not fact)
and while I can't remember the name of the group which does it each year, I
DO remember the caliber of food served is always very good, (and I'm VERY
pickey, just ask any of my friends).  6) There's no tent or light show in
the
world which can better the towering pines, the smell of the woods and the
stars that look so close you feel like you could touch them....all a part of
the "decorating scheme at Robie Park. 7) The Tevis buckle (if you're lucky
enough to earn one) is copyrighted!  'Ya can't buy it, look out if you try
copy it, 'ya to earn it!
    I could go on, but I won't....haven't even had supper yet.  Knew this
modern contraption would start robbing me of my "down" time and sure 'nuf.
You get my point I'm sure. Happy Trails, Donna Snyder-Smith