Re: "Let's just suppose I am a birdwatcher..."

    The question is, how do they decide which 'high risk'
activities to exclude from coverage?  Over-eating, drinking,
smoking, unprotected sex and taking baths (risk of falls) all
increase one's chance of injury.  So do those get excluded as
well?  If not, why?  What is the criteria?  If drivers of
certain types of cars (sports cars for example, or sub-
compacts) are more likely to be injured in accidents than
drivers of other types of cars, can your health insurer decide
they can exclude you from coverage if your drive one of those
cars?

  Then theres the economic impact: skiing,diving, mountain
biking, kayaking, rock-climbing, water-skiing, skating ....
that's a whole bunch of people who could have to give up their
hobbies, buy additional insurance or risk financial ruin.
Think of the economic impact to stables, ski resorts, equipment
manufacturers, tourism....

  Insurance companies are NOT concerned with lowering rates,
they want to reduce claims by 'cherry-picking': covering those
who are least likely to need the coverage and least likely to
file claims.  Cherry Picking is not an acceptable practice.

"And just to give you some food for thought, look at it from
the other side.
Let's just suppose I am a birdwatcher, I pay for health
insurance, my cost are reflected by the risk the insuror has to
take covering everyone else, i.e, horseback riders,
skateboarders, motorcycle riders, off road enthusiast,
mountain bikers, and on and on.  I would not think it fair that
my insurance costs as a birdwatcher should have to cover other
risks!  I don't like having to pay a higher premium anymore
than you do, but WHY should my co-workers (have the same amount
deducted from salary) who sew quilts on the weekend have
to cover my risk as an equestrian? Once again, I don't like the
idea of a seperate policy or higher premiums, I don't even know
if thats where this whole issue is going.

Jackie Baker "

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag