Re: question on glycogen loader

In a message dated 3/29/01 11:01:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
steph@endurance.net writes:

<< Tom - what's the latest on the use of GL, or AGL in the UAE competitions? I
 don't want to start any carbo charge wars, I just want to know if it has
 become standard practice to dose carbohydrates at regular intervals in the
 high speed, long distance events. I personally haven't used it yet at the
 rates/dosages that seem to be recommended. I don't use it on Khruschev
 because he has never wanted for energy, and my primary concern with him is
 body mass & heat dissipation. I suspect it would have more benefit for the
 greyhound type of horse - leaner muscled, less  apt to over-heat. ?

 Steph >>

Quite a few top riders are using GL or AGL--not going to name names here. AGL
seems to be better than GL but the best protocol seems to be starting out
with GL, then moving to AGL in the third loop. Timing is crucial. You cannot
run a whole loop on one pre-loop feeding. The faster the pace, the more
frequent the dosings have to be. 4 oz every hour seems to cover all the
bases. Still exploring the possibilities, though. Some are training with
it--with success.

Tom Ivers, President
Equine Racing Systems, Inc.
 <A HREF="http://www.equineracing.com/">ERS Home Page</A>

To sign up for the horsescience mailing list: