Albert Harris excerpts on the early years of endurance, Part I

From: "the Blood of the Arab--The World's Greatest War Horse" by  Albert W.
Harris

      "We have related how Homer Davenport went to the desert after Arab
horses...Having referred to the various countries of Europe as
having  established and maintained cavalry studs for hundreds of years
based on the blood of the Arab...it was understood...if these horses were
secured, they would not be disposed of, but would be kept intact  for the
Government, as the President  [Theodore Rossevelt] wanted...to establish a
cavalry stud and wanted Arab horse for that purpose...

      "Getting back to the cavalry stud which President Roosevelt did not
get: After the World War came to an end in 1918 our officers returned from
abroad with reports of the foreign cavalry and the government studs. They
also were loud in their praises of the Anglo-Arab officers' mounts of
France...after the World War...the Army had a cavalry stud under the United
States Remount. When I first learned of it they were acquiring Thoroughbred
stallions...In discussing the situation it was suggested that perhaps these
long-legged hot-headed horses might not be the best material from which to
raise cavalry horses.

	"A suggestion that a different type of horse was desirable, that the Arab
bred the type and disposition needed, was met with the remark that the Army
did not wish to raise ponies...This was no so with the Remount, as one
conversation led to as interesting tests for cavalry horses as this country
has ever seen. Everybody connected with them learned much about forced
marches, type and conditioning of horses, feeding, riding, and care of
horses on forced marches. In fact, it was a liberal horse education for
everybody connected with the tests and may have given the Remount some new
ideas...

      "Just a simple remark of Major Henry Leonard, a member of the Remount
Board, set it off. "Well, bring on your little horses and we will have a
ride. Conversation won't prove anything." This resulted in the Endurance
Rides of 1919 to 1926, inclusive; sixty miles a day for five days; one
horse, one rider; weights from 200 to 245 pounds..."

     If there is any interest, I can transcribe some of the accounts of the
rides.

				--CMNewell, DVM